Moxa therapy is primarily used for:
- Pain from injury or arthritis, especially when the pain naturally feels better with the application of heat.
- Digestive problems and irregular elimination
- Gynecological and obstetrical conditions
- Protection from cold and flu strains
Some benefits of moxa therapy:
- Stimulates acupuncture points
- Builds qi & blood
- Promotes circulation of qi & blood
- Warms the channels
A lot of the time acupuncture and moxa therapy are used within the same clinic session. This is only when it is appropriate to the healing process as sometimes the therapies can increase the other’s effectiveness when simultaneously used.*
Along with health benefits, the process of burning moxa can, to some patients, be very comforting. Supplied with warmth ad scent, the process can create an aura of deep relaxation.
However not always will the smell of moxa therapy be for everyone. There are smokeless varieties of moxa, however, the preferred form of it produces a lot of smoke when burned and the lingering odor can smell somewhat like marijuana. Clinics are well equipped with good ventilation and air purification systems so as to combat the odor that comes with the burning of moxa.*